Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Pottery Playhouse

I'm always happiest when I have a project. I love to research, shop, plan, organize, visualize, and sketch. There always seems to be something brewing in my head, whether its a party plan, a room re-do, or a design project. Lots of relatively small things that can be quickly completed. But now, I have a doozy...

I'm going to turn the broken-down garage/shed/workshop behind "The Barn" into our very own Pottery Playhouse. This will be in addition to everything else we offer at The Big Red Barn, so don't worry- our normal classes aren't going anywhere :-).


Yes, this. This is going to become a magical and colorful Pottery Playhouse, complete with tables, chairs, a kiln, and shabby chic clubhouse charm. Check out the broken-down glider from my grandparents' house. The glider has seen better days, as has this building. But, my plan is to give them both new life and to create a fun new place to create, play with clay, drink lots of coffee (or Kool Aid), connect, and have fun. I will begin with a half-dozen buckets of paint. :-)
Huge plans for this place... I'm sketching and visualizing and window shopping for things to make it awesome. Many trips to Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's are in my future. The sign above my front door says "Imagine." I've got to say that I often take its advice. I don't see the flaws of this place- I see the potential. Can you see it, too?

It all started out simply enough... I wanted to have a place to put a kiln. We teach a clay class, Mudbugs, at The Big Red Barn. Because I don't have a kiln, we work with air dry clay and paint the completed pieces with acrylic paint and finish them with a glossy (and sticky) glaze. The finished products look nice, but there's nothing like the wonderful look, feel, and functionality of fired pieces.

Underglaze colors... The creative possibilities are endless!
Also, in another life, I was very much into the "Paint-Your-Own Pottery" thing. I had discovered the medium when a place called Painted Bayou opened in Mandeville in the mid-90s. I spent hours on end at Painted Bayou drawing designs on bisque, painting, and glazing different pieces. It got a little expensive to keep paying studio fees and retail for the bisque, so I bought a bunch of my own bisque wholesale, along with an assortment of underglazes, and turned my coffee table into my own pottery painting studio. I brought my pieces to a lady who had an old ceramics studio behind her house and she fired them for me. Like many things, I sort of outgrew that hobby and moved on to something else.

I've often thought about adding the element of the pottery painting to our variety of activities at The Big Red Barn. The problem has always been the logistics of having the pieces fired. Sure, there are places I could bring them and pay to have it done- but it's an aggravation and hassle to pack everything up, make sure it doesn't get broken, deliver it there, wait, pick it up, pack it up (again), and make sure it makes it back to my place without getting destroyed in the process. Too much trouble- unless... Unless I had a kiln of my own. But- where to put it? The inside of The Big Red Barn is packed to the gills, and my supply closet, as you know, has no vacancy. The only feasible option is the old garage/workshop/eyesore out back.

If the outside looks bad, the inside looks worse. Visualize the interior of The Little Rascal's clubhouse.

I may have to consult with them about creative ideas... And procurement of materials. :-)

Because I don't want to spend too much money on this project, I am going to use that "rustic clubhouse charm" to my advantage. The walls will remain unfinished, but I'm going to paint wide stripes of robin's egg blue and spring green  in-between the studs (which will be white). The studs will serve as picture frames of sorts, framing various artwork and unique treasures. My large collection of old window sashes, shutters, and random salvage will be re-painted and displayed on the walls. I knew there was a reason I was hanging on to all that stuff!

See? Exposed studs don't have to be ugly!


The existing workshop shelving will become a display area, freshly painted and embellished with scalloped molding and homemade awnings. Like Mary Poppin's spoonful of sugar, color is an elixir that makes the medicine go down. I plan to use it to my advantage.

I am IN LOVE with this look- the awning is adorable!


Color, glorious color! I love these little pennant banners!

For furniture, I will use my old friend, Ikea. I shall forever be faithful to their big blue building of cheap home-goodness. We have a lot of stuff from Ikea in our art room, including our rack storage system of buckets and hooks, stools, and art display wire. Lucky for me, my sister lives near one in Round Rock, Texas and she can deliver or send me stuff from them. I'm placing my order with her for her visit here next week- although I wish that I could go there myself! The website and catalog just don't compare to walking around and seeing everything first-hand.

You just can't get a nicer looking, functional or cheaper seating option than this!

They topple over more than the big ones, but they are too stinkin' cute to pass up!

No clue what I need this for, but I've loved it since I first saw it! If it matches the stools, it's mine.

So what if the landlord hasn't put in my plug for the kiln or installed a toilet and sink yet? I've got things to do and can't wait to get started! Here's hoping that we will see some significant progress on his end by summer. and The Pottery Playhouse will be open by Fall! Stay tuned for updates and progress reports :-).

The Pottery Playhouse logo in progress... It's a start!
 

Journal daydreams, pipedreams, random bad sketching and brainstorming :-).





No comments:

Post a Comment