Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bathroom Humor

While there is so much that is wonderful about living and working in a playhouse, there is one thing that really stinks:

The bathroom.

AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I never know what kind of a scene or smell is going to greet me when I walk in. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's mildly startling, and sometimes it's just scary- like last Tuesday.

My Tuesday Mom's Day Out crew consists of 5 boys ages 5 and under. Four are potty trained (most of the time). In a battle between 4 little boys and my bathroom, the 4 little boys win.

Words out of my mouth when I went in there after class? It smells like a zoo in here. The Elephant exhibit. Do you know that smell? It's the same one there was when you walked by the boys' bathroom in grade school (or middle school, or high school) and got a whiff from a closing door. The boys bathroom always smelled worse than the girls' bathroom, and now I can understand why:

No amount of Lysol spraying or antibacterial wiping is a match for four, let alone dozens, of little boys spraying in the general vicinity of the toilet seat.

 
Even after I cleaned all around the floor, the seat, around the hinges and the bowl, I could still smell it. Really? I sprayed Lysol- a lot of Lysol. The kind of spraying that makes one cough from the fumes. Later when I went back in, it STILL smelled like the boys' bathroom! Face-palm. My heart weeps for elementary school janitors across the globe.

While searching for graphics, I stumbled on this article. Maybe it will help! :-)
http://tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-rid-of-that-sinky-boy-smell.html?m=1

And then there's the fun of #2, and toilet paper.

Sometimes I think the children are practicing for rolling houses later on in high school.


 I've learned not to keep the toilet paper on the roller- kids have a tendency to keep pulling and pulling until they've made a ball of TP nearing the size of a travel pillow. I walk in the bathroom to find the toilet un-flushed and full of TP and #2. Oh dear. I flush it and hold my breath:

And then the toilet clogs. As the water rises, I silently pray: please don't overflow, please don't overflow. I grab the plunger. Good times.

Of course, there are times that the toilet paper only partially makes it into the toilet bowl. Sometimes it's artfully draped in the bowl, across the toilet seat, tousled on the floor, and still attached to the roll! Very creative, I must say.

I can understand why kids don't always flush the toilet. They have a lot to think about- and my toilet isn't that easy to flush. It has a big square button instead of a lever- something that one kid told me was the coolest thing he had ever seen in his entire life. I aim to please.

What I don't understand is why they don't give me a heads up or ask for help. Nope, they'd rather surprise me.

It could always be worse!

What kinds of surprises do your kids leave you?




No comments:

Post a Comment