Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Roots

I was Born and raised in SE Louisiana, in the suburbs of New Orleans. I grew up in the middle of the woods at the end of a dead-end street with two sisters and two amazingly smart, thrifty, and creative parents. We were raised to be independent, to use what we had, to try to turn a problem into a project, and to figure out things instead of having them handed to you.

I come from a long line of entrepreneurs: my grandpa had a stationary store in the French Quarter, my great-great grandparents manufactured facial cream and eggs in the basement during the depression, my dad harvested cypress knees to make lamps and later manufactured model airplanes inspired by the corrugated plastic real estate signs that my mom used for work.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree. For as long as I can remember, I've been dreaming up different business ideas. (I recall opening a bank when I was around 8 years old and starting a newspaper, too.) But, the one that has always had the most energy was the multidisciplinary arts center that I dreamed about starting. The dream originated when I was around 18, and I was dancing all the time. I wanted to open a place that offered dance, theater, art, writing, and anything else that anyone could want to help them in their creative process. I started out in the dance realm of the arts, but have migrated over to visual art. I've learned that I am very good at managing things, dreaming up lessons, making connections between different disciplines, and setting the stage for fun and learning.

My brain is constantly working, wondering, thinking... It's great for the kids, but not so good for my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment