Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sweet Baboo

They say that behind every good man there's a good woman. The opposite is true, too.

For the most part, I always work alone. I've always worked best on my own, especially at school, and the phrase "group project" has never been music to my ears. On my own, I plan events and activities, dream up random ideas, create flyers, ads, and lesson plans, teach class, sweep the floor, pick up the toys, decorate the art room, blow up balloons... The list goes on and on. When people meet me and learn about The Barn, they ask "So, it's just you?" Pretty much, I say. But it's not just me. It's Bryan, too.


I call Bryan my sweet baboo. I picked up the term from Charlie Brown's sister, Sally. Unlike Linus, Bryan doesn't mind the endearment. I have no clue what a baboo is and if Bryan actually is whatever it means, but Bryan is sweet, and that's good enough for me.


Bryan is the one who puts up with the cups of water and paintbrushes piled on the kitchen counter after class (and for days after that if my schedule affords the luxury of my procrastination from cleaning them). Bryan puts up with staying (far) away from home on crazy kids night out nights and art camp days when over a dozen children are having the time of their lives in our (otherwise peaceful) house. Bryan puts up with discovering the pee splattered all over the toilet seat from little boys who are still learning proper aim (I clean it up). Bryan puts up with me laying on the couch, shell shocked, after an especially challenging day of reasoning with preschoolers. Bryan puts up with my flights of whimsy like building a barn float for the local parade or helping create an outdoor classroom (he doesn't know about that yet). Bryan puts up with my crazy schedule of this class and that, this party and that one, and whatever else I've put on the always eclectic calendar. Bryan puts up with my frantic 8:45 AM crazy woman cleaning before 9:00 class- when I'm out of breath and my eyes are wild and I'm rushing around like a madwoman (but I always answer the door with a smile- transformed instantly by seeing the kids walk in). Bryan puts up with having to navigate my office every time he goes in and out of the house, and with my supply closet whenever he does the laundry. All he asks is that I keep the top of the washer and dryer clear. I succeed- except when I don't. :-)

Working on The Big Red Barn float.

I'm thankful everyday for my sweet Baboo. I continue to do most everything at The Barn by myself, but sure am glad that Bryan is there to back me up- at least when class is over. :-) 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment